The NBA and NHL championships have come and gone.
It’s a bit too early to start talking about the NFL, and MLB is not the most social media focused league in town.
So one might think that there is very little to discuss regarding social media and sports right now – but that would be a mistake. Now is a very important time for teams and leagues to keep fans engaged.
Why? Because, if you follow my path to social media then you know that sponsorship is not far behind. Through social media, there are still opportunities to keep fans active, and to keep sponsors activated.
Consider the following… How can you leverage:
- Ticket Sales – Do you have a social media angle for marketing tickets?
- Contests/Give Aways – Are you giving your market a reason to keep plugged in?
- Off Season Drafts/Trades/Personnel Changes – Can you provide perspectives and insight from the source?
- Discussion – Can you generate discussion and debate?
- Access – Can you provide visibility on team insiders?
- Announcements – Can you release info via social networks prior to a press release?
If you give your market good reasons to stay plugged in – then they will. Staying plugged in is what your sponsors want and need to see.