What organization wouldn’t be interested to leverage the ability to sell to, listen to, build loyalty with, create with, promote with and participate in conversations about their brand, product or industry?
If you are a doubter, or not sure about dipping that toe in… start by just listening. Listening is one of the most important sales skills – why? Because it’s how you find out what your customer wants. Good sellers are good listeners. This can work on the brand level as well – via social media, you can listen at the brand level.
How To Start Listening With Social Media – 5 Steps
- Get yourself a Twitter ID
- Make it a personal one, something you can play around with (worry about the brand later)
- Learn the basics and the simple jargon
- Start with the FAQs
- This will help you understand what you find
- This will help you listen/search effectively
- Start following a few people or brands
- Like me
- Twitter will recommend some when you sign up…
- Now Search for you, your brand, your industry, your product
- Use the handy search box on the top left
And Step 5…Analyze what you find.
- Who is tweeting?
- What are they saying? Do you like it?
- What can you do with this?
Step 5 isn’t really a step, it’s a choice. What are you going to do with what you heard? There’s a lot more to social media of course, but this is a simple way to start.